Supplier: Windstar Cruises
Windstar Cruises is offering travellers the opportunity to experience Europe like never before in 2020.
Its 312-passenger Star Legend will debut in Europe in July 2020 and sail in the region through November after an extensive renovation as part of the line’s US$250 Million Star Plus Initiative. Enhancements will include the addition of 50 new suites, two restaurants, an enhanced spa and fitness centre, an elevated pool, and several other upgrades onboard each of Windstar’s three Star Class ships.
Of notable interest is the Sail Amsterdam Celebration in 2020, a global event that only occurs every five years. As part of the celebration, Windstar’s Wind Surf, the largest sailing cruise ship in the world, will be anchored in the company of legendary sailing ships over three days.
The ship will be in Amsterdam proper, which allows guests to view the event from on land and onboard and will be the ultimate viewing location for the parade of dozens of unique sailing vessels, with fireworks displays overhead,” said Jess Peterson, Windstar’s Director of Itinerary Planning.
Also of note in 2020 are two 60+ day European voyages. ‘Star Collector: Comprehensive Europe Flagship Sailing’ aboard Wind Surf will include the Sail Amsterdam experience beginning in Sweden and ending in Italy, and visiting 48 total ports in 20 countries. ‘Star Collector: Grand European Tour’ will sail from Iceland to Greece over 66 days aboard the newly reimagined Star Legend, visiting 53 ports over 66 days. Cruise fares for both of these voyages start at US$21,699 per person.
Other new itinerary highlights for Windstar’s Europe 2020 Season include:
• Rome & Grand Prix of Monaco: Travellers onboard Wind Surf will explore unique small ports like Portofino, Bastia, and Saint Raphael
• Quintessential Croatia: On Oct. 16 will be a James Beard Foundation Culinary Cruise Collection sailing, with eight days aboard Wind Surf from Venice to Venice
• Autumn on the Atlantic Coast: This voyage departing Sept. 19 will coast the cultural ports of Bilbao, Bordeaux and Honfleur, and will also be a James Beard Foundation Culinary Cruise Collection
• Autumn Revelries on the French Riviera: This sailing will feature Windstar’s maiden call to Toulon, France
• Greece, Israel & Egypt: Footsteps of Faith in the Holy Lands: This voyage marks Windstar’s return to Cypress and will also visit Haifa and Ashdod in Israel, and Alexandria and Port Said in Egypt after a several-year absence from each
• Greece via the Corinth Canal & Turkey: The Marvels of Ancient Rivals: Passengers on this voyage will witness the first-ever Windstar visit to Lemnos, Greece, the return of Windstar to Istanbul after a several-years absence (and an overnight), as well as the lovely “old Venetian harbor” of Chania on Crete
• Ancient Epicenters in Autumn via the Corinth Canal: This is a journey from Athens to Rome with stops in Delphi, Valletta, and transit of the famed Corinth Canal
• Eire with Fire & Ice: Ireland and Iceland’s Overlooked Treasures: This trip will make a first-ever stop in Djupivogur, Iceland, the gateway to the Kokulsarion Glacier Lagoon, one of Iceland’s most popular attractions
• Fado Folksongs, Tapas & Crystal: Portugal, Spain, Britain & Ireland: This voyage features unique stops in Isles of Scilly as well as Whales and Waterford
Booking is now open for Europe 2020 on more than 80 itineraries on 116 cruise dates throughout the season, with rates starting at $2,399 per person, double occupancy. The majority of cruise departures in Europe are aboard Wind Surf, Wind Star, and Star Legend, with a limited number of sailings available as early as February 20 and as late as November 20, 2020 on board the Star-Plus renovated Star Breeze and Star Pride.
To learn more about Windstar Cruises, visit windstarcruises.com.